Wednesday, July 25, 2018

When there is no one around

and you need a hand or two, a couple of cans of beans works well.  A couple of 2" x 6" strips of rug grip placed under the straight edge also helps keep it from shifting as I trim. 

Since April 14 of this year,  according to my studio journal,  I have been piecing quilts using black as the neutral or back ground color.  Since that date I have completed 6 quilts.   I am currently quilting on the seventh one, which I am not as enthused about.  So far.  I think this lack of enthusiasm is due mainly to there being no color.  It is  just black and white and then too there is  the quilting pattern I am using.   Black thread on black fabric and the grey rainy days we have had lately.
 

Why am I working with just black and white?  

I  blame it on the black and white "Ampersand" "&" print fabric that caught my eye and challenged me to see if I could make something with it.  

Three of the seven pieces I've completed were improv pieced, a technique I am not entirely comfortable with but I am willing to spend the rest of this year in pursuit of acquiring the skill and deciding if I  like the work I create improv piecing.  

A couple were created using EQ8; one of which was foundation pieced and the other was hand drawn on graft paper.  Collectively  they are a mixed bag of works with the only thing holding them together as a series, that's if I consider then to be a series,  is the black  color used in each one.  

I have always liked the graphic look of Amish quilts and their use solid colors with black.  I was really serious about exploring this combination  in my work.   I ordered three bolts (45 yards) of Kona black to use. One  bolt down, two to go.

Taking good pictures of pieces I make that are larger than 40" x 40" is really difficult in my  studio space with my current layout because I can not get far enough away to capture all of the edges.

When I work this out I'll post some of the pieces I have completed.  Or maybe I can have my son  come with his camera.  

Hi Myke, hint, hint.  

No comments:

Post a Comment