Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Quilting is done

and the binding is on.  Getting ready to do the hand stitching.

Over the last few days as I sat quilting, my mind kept wondering around through different designs for my next piece.  Every so often I would pause quilting, get up and stretch and go sit again at the computer and play around in EQ8.  I would  contemplate a block or two and manipulate them to see the possibilities.

I haven't settle on anything yet but I  do know that what ever I do next will be in the colors below.  I am so over black and white.

Some of the fabrics below are Kona cotton solids and other are my hand dyes using Kona cotton PFD which I dyed to be solids rather than mottled.

Last May I purchased three small washing machines for my wet space and thought I could get lots of fabric dyed before the heat of summer here in Florida set in.  I was wrong.  We had no pleasant Spring.  It went from our Winter to Summer in what seemed like the blink of an eye.  Two days of dyeing producing 15 yards was all I could stay in the garage long enough to get done because of the heat and flying insects wanting to make a meal of me.

 Long years ago I took a dyeing workshop from Judy Walter where we took turns stirring big pots of fabric.  Had to have been 1988-89.  Although I loved the outcome, I decided then and there I would not be dyeing my own cloth.  But time changes things.  Around 1994-95 I picked up and read A. Buffington(?) book about how she dyed fabric in zip lock bags.  No more endless stirring.  I was hooked and  I have been dyeing fabric ever since.  
Here are my machines sloshing away.

No comments:

Post a Comment